Tragic news has emerged as Scarlett Faulkner, aged 29, was taken off her life support machine after a brutal assault three weeks ago. The young mother remains in critical condition, with her heart still beating but time running out.
Scarlett was airlifted to University Hospital Cork following the attack on March 21, 2026. The incident occurred on the R494 in Birdhill, near the M7 motorway, at approximately 5.30pm.
Her family shared the devastating update that life support was switched off at 4pm yesterday. Josephine (Joanne) Duffy, partner of Scarlett’s brother Thomas, said, “Five of us stayed overnight at the hospital. Her heart is still going. She’s holding it very well on her own.”
Doctors have warned it could be hours or days before Scarlett stops breathing independently. The family has asked for prayers and expressed hope that Scarlett will “go in peace.” They added, “Never let it be said that Scarlett Faulkner had no fight in her, she is fighting like 10 lionesses right now.”
Scarlett was placed in an induced coma to treat brain swelling after being repeatedly struck over the head during the assault. Medical staff began reducing her sedation as the family prayed for a miracle.
Last week, the family revealed they were awaiting one final test before the decision to switch off life support. Scarlett’s sister Victoria paid a touching tribute, saying, “Sister, you were the best mother… I promise to make sure your little one always remembers you and feels your love.”
In legal developments, a 16-year-old girl has been charged with assault causing serious harm in connection with the attack. Additionally, a 40-year-old woman faces charges of endangerment, violent disorder, and burglary linked to the investigation.
The family continues to stand by Scarlett as she remains caught in a brutal fight for her life following the horrifying assault that has shocked the local community.
Originally published by UKNIP.